Editor’s Choice: Scroll below for our monthly blend of mainstream and alternative April 2021 news and views
- Washington Post, Derek Chauvin’s use of force against George Floyd was ‘totally unnecessary,’ senior officer testifies
- Washington Post, Officer killed, suspect fatally shot after vehicle rams barricade near Capitol
- Washington Post, U.S. Capitol Police officer William ‘Billy’ Evans killed in the line of duty
- New York Post, Suspect who smashed into barrier at US Capitol identified as Noah Green
- Washington Post, MLB will move its All-Star Game out of Atlanta as backlash to Georgia voting law continues
- Washington Post, Biden jobs plan seeks $400 billion for caretaking services as nation faces surge in aging population
- Washington Post, Editorial: Democrats should end Iowa and New Hampshire’s political monopoly
- Washington Post, Border officials say more people sneak past them as agents are overwhelmed
- New York Post, Matt Gaetz and Florida pols played Harry Potter-themed ‘sex challenge’ game: report
Virus Victims, Responses
- Washington Post, 101.8 million vaccinated in U.S.
- Worldometer, World & U.S. Coronavirus Case Totals, U.S. Deaths: 567,610
George Floyd, above left, and former police officer Derek Chauvin, whose trial began Monday.
Washington Post, Derek Chauvin’s use of force against George Floyd was ‘totally unnecessary,’ senior officer testifies, Holly Bailey and Robert Samuels, April 3, 2021 (print ed.). Capping a dramatic first week of testimony in Chauvin’s murder trial, Lt. Richard Zimmerman questioned the reasoning and technique behind Floyd’s restraint, saying the man no longer appeared to be a threat.
Derek Chauvin used force that was “totally unnecessary” when he knelt on George Floyd’s neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds while Floyd was handcuffed and no longer a threat, the longest-serving officer in the Minneapolis department testified Friday.…