Editor’s Choice: Scroll below for our monthly blend of mainstream and alternative December 2019 news and views
Note: Excerpts are from the authors’ words except for subheads and occasional “Editor’s notes” such as this.
Impeachment Daily Index
- New York Times, Live Updates: Trump Committed Impeachable Offenses, 3 Scholars Will Say
- New York Times, Trump Put His Interests Ahead of Country’s, Impeachment Report Finds
- New York Times, A Mysterious ‘-1’ and Other Call Records Show How Giuliani Pressured Ukraine
- New York Times, Who Is Noah Feldman? Scholar Specializes in Constitutional Law
- New York Times, Who Is Pamela Karlan? Legal Leader Committed to Progressive Causes
- New York Times, Who Is Michael J. Gerhardt? Professor Made Impeachment His Specialty
- Washington Post, Explosive personalities ready to battle as probe enters new phase
- Washington Post, Phone call records show frequent contact between Giuliani and White House
- Washington Post, NATO braces for contentious summit as Trump and other leaders gather
Impeachment Coverage Noted Above
Washington Post, Professors testify that Trump’s conduct is grounds for removal, John Wagner and Felicia Sonmez, Dec. 4, 2019. Probe moves to new phase with House Judiciary hearing. A 41-member panel with a history of partisan brawls is hearing from four constitutional experts on the historical underpinnings of impeachment in what could be a chaotic proceeding.
New York Times, Live Updates: Trump Committed Impeachable Offenses, 3 Scholars Say, Michael D. Shear, Dec. 4, 2019. The House Judiciary Committee is debating whether to draft and approve articles of impeachment. Lawmakers are hearing from legal scholars about the constitutional basis for impeachment. Stay here for live video and updates.
But an expert invited by Republicans argued that the case so far is “slipshod” and premature, during the first formal impeachment hearing in the Judiciary Committee. The panel kicked off what is likely to be a sharply partisan brawl over whether to draft and approve articles of impeachment against President Trump.…