Editor’s Choice: Scroll below for our monthly blend of mainstream and alternative news and views in December 2022, Part 2, Dec. 27 to Dec. 31. For earlier December news, see Part 1.
Note: Excerpts are from the authors’ words except for subheads and occasional “Editor’s notes” such as this.
- Washington Post, Architect of Mich. governor kidnap plot sentenced to more than 19 years in prison
- Washington Post, U.S. watchdogs guarding $5 trillion in covid aid say they need more money
- Washington Post, Editorial: Russia’s abductions of Ukrainian children are a genocidal crime
- New York Times, U.S. Scrambles to Stop Iran From Providing Drones for Russia
- Washington Post, Supreme Court leaves in place pandemic-era Title 42 border policy for now
Covid, Disinformation, Disasters
- Washington Post, After years with little covid, videos show China is now getting hit hard
- New York Times, ‘Tragic Battle’: On the Front Lines of China’s Covid Crisis
- New York Times, China will soon no longer require incoming travelers to quarantine, a significant step toward reopening
- New York Times, As Covid-19 Continues to Spread, So Does Misinformation About It
U.S. Politics, Elections, Economy, Governance
- New York Times, Race for G.O.P. Chair Obscures the Party’s Bigger Problems
Musk, Twitter, Tesla, SpaceX
- New York Times, Opinion, Did the Tesla Story Ever Make Sense? Paul Krugman
- Washington Post, Perspective: Some final advice: Beware of cryptocurrencies and ratty CEOs like Musk, Allan Sloan
- Washington Post, From Elon Musk to Bill Gates, see how much tech’s richest billionaires lost in 2022
- Washington Post, Ukraine Live Updates: French defense minister in Kyiv; warnings of power outages throughout winter
- Washington Post, ‘Nothing left to destroy:’ Russia is fighting for land already in ruins
- Washington Post, Russian sausage tycoon dies after falling from hotel in India
Global News, Migration, Human Rights Issues
- New York Times, Lee Myung-bak, South Korean Ex-President, Receives Pardon
- New York Times, With Record Military Incursions, China Warns Taiwan and U.S.